Chief and Council hereby provides notice to Seabird Island Band members regarding two upcoming vacancies on the Seabird Island Band Education Committee ending January 31, 2017. These positions will begin February 1, 2017 and cover a two year term.
Chief and Council invites Seabird Island Band members to forward your letter and/or completed application to Chief and Council indicating your interest on being part of the Education Committee.
The Education Committee presently meets every third Thursday of each month beginning at 9:00 a.m. unless otherwise stated.
Please pick up your application package at the Seabird Island Band Office.
Deadline for submitting letters of interest is December 23, 2016 at 4:00 p.m.
Appointment of Education Members
Selection Criteria and Procedures
It is the desire of the Band Council to choose two individuals for the Education Committee who they feel will best serve the interests of the Band and its stakeholders. The following criteria and procedures for Education Appointments are not intended to be exclusive or exhaustive, but rather be representative of the sense of the Band Council in fulfilling its duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Governance Policy.
I) Criteria for All Candidates
Among those characteristics to be sought in each candidate, being mindful of the overall Committee composition, are the following:
- Integrity and a commitment to ethical behavior.
- Personal maturity and leadership skills in education or related field.
- Independence of thought and willingness to deal directly with the difficult issues.
- Broad experience, with an understanding of the complexities of the Band Education program and external educational agencies.
- Accomplishment in education and related field.
- Understanding financial and/or accounting principles an asset.
- Candidate must be a Member of Seabird Island Band.
- Must be resident with Sto:lo Territory.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Must be familiar with the Education and Governance Policy.
- Previous experience as an education member or Band experience.
- Drug screening
- Pass a criminal records check.