Information Sessions on the coming Election Process Changes are scheduled for December 21 and January 4, 2017. Seabird Island Council has been given verbal confirmation at a meeting with Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada’s BC Regional Director, Catherine Lapas on November 28, that the Election Code has been accepted by the government. Official confirmation to follow.
As a result of the confirmation, next years General Band Election will be held under our Election Code. Chief and Council is holding two information sessions to review the new election rules defined in the Seabird Island Election Code. The first information session is scheduled for December 21 and the second one for January 4, 2017. Both information sessions will be held in the Main Boardroom from 5 – 7 p.m. A light snack will be provided.
If you are planning to attend, please contact reception or go to www.seabirdisland.ca to let us know that you wish to attend so that we can plan accordingly.
The next General Election will be held on April 19, 2017, and Council would like to encourage any of the eligible voters who want to know more about the changes to the current election system to attend the information session.
For the Band Members wishing to run in the next General Election, there are a number of changes to the process to be aware of compared to an election under the old INAC Election System. Here are the key differences:
- The term of Office is 3 years instead of 2.
- To hold the position of Chief or Councillor for Seabird Island, a person must:
- be a Seabird Island Member;
- be at least eighteen (18) years of age on the date of the election;
- hand in a completed “Candidate Nomination Package” to the Electoral Officer and is verified by the Election Officer as complete by the end of the nomination period;
- provide to the Electoral Officer, prior to the end of the nomination period, a written statement saying you have read and understood the Seabird Island Governance Manual and Seabird Island Election Code;
- It is the responsibility of a nominee to obtain copies of the Seabird Island Governance Manual and Election Code
- be able to attend all the mandatory Council and community meetings or provide a valid reason for absence in accordance with the Seabird Island Governance Manual;
- not be a candidate for both the position of Chief and the position of Councillor at the same election;
- be in good financial standing with the Band and have his or her financial dealings with the Band up to date and have no debts with the Band due to deliberately refusing to pay monies owed;
- swear the Oath of Office prior to taking office;
- have not been disqualified from voting, being nominated, being elected, or holding office on Council; and
- not be an active employee or contractor of the Band or any of the Band’s businesses
- There will no longer be a 3-hour nomination meeting that is now replaced with a 10-day where Candidates must file their nomination papers within that period.
- There are also rules regarding Election Offences such as vote buying, and intimidation.
- The new Election Code has Recall provision – Recall is a process that enables electors to petition for the removal of a Member of the Council between elections.
Election schedule of events
|The number of Days before Election||Date needed to be completed by||Action to be taken||By Whom|
|The 2nd week of January 2017||January 13, 2017||Nomination Packages including Governance Manual and Election Code made available at office and on website||Seabird Island|
|The 2nd week of January 2017||Official Start of Election Process||Seabird Island Staff
Council or designate
|Band to start early in the Fall prior to an election year – and complete at least 69 days prior to election|
|68||February 10, 2017||Nomination Documents, including Governance Manual and Election Code, can also be obtained from Electoral Officer at this time||EO and Seabird Island Staff|
|At 9:00 a.m. at least 50 days||February 28, 2017||Nomination Period Begins||EO/RM|
|At 4:00 p.m. at least 40 days||March 10, 2017||Nomination Period Ends/Closes and Candidates confirmed||EO/RM|
|On 39 day||March 11, 2017, or March 13, 2017||EO has posted a tentative list of Candidates and office for which they were nominated.||EO|
|Any time up to the 36 day||March 14, 2017||Last date for Candidates to withdraw and their name not on ballot||EO|
|At least 35||March 15, 2017||Final list of Candidates posted||EO|
|Day 0||April 19, 2017||Election Day||EO|