About Seabird College
Seabird College began as a dream of the Seabird Island Band Manager and our Grand Chief many years ago. They dreamed that one day, Seabird Island would be able to have its community members, and the members of our neighbouring communities, get a college level education within their community. And that this college education would take into account the specific learning needs of our First Nations people.
- Is specifically designed for learners that require tactile, hands-on training to go compliment their in-room course work.
- Has built in support systems for our students, including tutoring as well as meetings with our staff.
- Is offered at a low-cost.
- Is and in-demand field in our current economy.
Our vision is for all students to receive:
- Excellence in instruction and research;
- A professional and respectful learning environment that reflects indigenous knowledge;
- The supports that are able to be offered to students to achieve their educational goals, including one-on-one and group tutoring, family events, and much more;
- Innovative, unique and comprehensive programming;
- Education that supports both personal and career development;
- Beneficial local, national and international partnerships;
- Recognition in the form of a certificate, diploma or degree upon meeting the prescribed requirements in their field of study; and
- Knowledge that there is an informed respectful working relationship amongst First Nations groups;
To realize this vision, the Seabird College has developed core values that will conform to our work in practice. These values are:
- Every student matters
- Build relationships with our neighbouring bands to discuss their education needs
- Partner with other institutions
- Value and respect all individuals
- Strive for excellence in all that we do
- Promote equality and inclusion
- Our faculty, staff, and board members are committed to going the extra mile to deliver the best service possible; they are passionate about student's success.
Commitment to Stó:lo Culture:
The Seabird College prides its self on being committed to Stó:lo culture. We strive to incorporate our culture into every program. Ceremonies and celebrations within the Seabird College and always include Stó:lo culture and the Halq'emeylem language. You are encouraged to take part in celebrating our language and culture.
College Service Environment:
You will find the fun, inviting office environment very different than anywhere. We are committed to a drug-free, healthy, culturally aware, community driven, and community oriented Seabird College programs and services.
The Seabird College strives to create a friendly environment for all staff, students and volunteers. Our Office provides its staff and students with the latest equipment and tools to help achieve optimal efficiency.