Lalme' Iwesawtexw (Seabird Island Community Elementary and Secondary School)
2011 – 2012 School Year Deadline: September 9th, 2011
Lalme' Iwesawtexw (Seabird Island Community School), meaning "House of Learning" in Halq'emeylem, was named after Mary Charles, a Seabird Island Band Elder and mother of Grand Chief Archie Charles. Opening a First Nations Band controlled school had been Lalme's dream for many years. She later became Chairperson of the School Committee after it was built.
Our mission is to provide a supportive and culturally relevant learning environment which places a high value on life-long learning, respect for self and others, honesty, integrity, generosity and hard work.
Lalme' Iwesawtexw offers quality B.C. Curriculum for First Nations Kindergarten to Grade 12 students which fosters and promotes cultural values and the Halq'emeylem language taught by BC Certified teachers. Our small class sizes create an optimal learning environment for our students with one-on-one time with their teachers.
We offer a full range of additional specialized programming for all grades including:
- Three's and Four's Preschool Program
- Specialized reading, writing and numerousy programs that are individually designed to meet the specific needs of our students.
- Unique Sto:lo language and cultural studies and activities.
- Trades, technology and vocational training.
- Tutoring programs and extra help.
- Free bussing from Agassiz, Hope, and Chilliwack.
- After School Care run by the Seabird Island Community Services Program.
- Athletics and sports academics.
- Young Parents Program
Streamed Education Plan
In addition to offering the full BC Graduation Certificate (Dogwood) and strong academic programs, students receive specialization in 5 streams:
- Mechanics: Auto Technology, Power Transmission, Metal Fabrication and Body Repair
- Family: Foods, Textiles, and Family Studies
- Woodwork: Carpentry and Wood Craft
- Fine Arts: Music, Studio Arts, Drama and Art
- Business Education: Digital Communications, Entrepreneurship and Accounting.
The Streamed Education plan allows students complete their grade 12 at Lalme' Iwesawtexw they also complete their first year of a trade or vocational study of their choice.
Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, Lalme' Iwesawtexw is happy to announce that we will now be offering:
- Specialized training in the physical and tactical aspects of soccer which includes both on-field and in classroom training within the timetable.
- Training by coaches from the Chilliwack Football Club who have partnered with Lalme' Iwesawtexw.
- The opportunity to play against other soccer academies in British Columbia.
For more information about Lalme' Iwesawtexw contact:
P: 1-604-796-3061 | F: 1-604-796-3068
Shari White, Principal
Debbie McGregor, Vice Principal
Elementary - Box 530 2821 Chowat Road, Agassiz BC V0M 1A0
High School - Box 530 2811 Chowat Road, Agassiz BC V0M 1A0
Support Our Work
This service and all Seabird Island Band led services welcome donations.
Every donation makes an impact: every dollar helps. All funds donated will go directly to the service and programs of the Seabird Island Band.
Your donation will help First Nations families and support our goals to:
- Improve the health, living standards, and wellbeing of First Nations families,
- Create educational opportunities for First Nations people of all ages and education levels,
- Confront social and economical challenges First Nations people are faced with.